Silver Investment Partners’ development of precision parts maker PTF Group was both an investment in business and an investment in people. Since SIP bought PTF in 2011, it has expanded German operations through the acquisitions of Kehl in 2012 and Hitega in 2014. Moreover, SIP supported the company in expanding its global footprint. These steps helped cement the firm’s reputation as a leading maker of high-tech parts used in semiconductor manufacturing, the food industry, medical technology and other high-tech industries.
Sales have almost trebled during SIP’s ownership, and employee numbers have more than doubled from just over 100 in 2010 to over 240 currently. SIP supports the view that new, young employees are the backbone of the growth. Thus, PTF’s three-year apprenticeship scheme has around 35 staff in training at any time.
Under SIP’s ownership, we have more than doubled the business in three years. We invest heavily both in machinery and in our employees and apprenticeship schemes, which are key to our growth. SIP’s support has been critical in helping us to achieve our goals.
Oliver Zintl CEO, PTF Group
What did the business need?
- Implementation of strong financial and business systems
- Investment in capacity at the Stollberg factory
- Support for international growth programme
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Invested over €10m for machinery and expansion at the Stollberg factory
- Provided €9m for two acquisitions
- Introduced new financial and resource planning software to improve management controls
- Implemented measures to improve productivity and business transparency
- Hired a group CFO and strengthened management
- Set up dedicated sales team, including US sales office
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Expanded production facility in Stollberg by over 50%
- Increased number of active customers from 40 to over 100, significantly diversifying sales
- Took Chinese operations from break-even to highly profitable
- Established sales presence in key US market