Sonnenbatterie makes solar power generation and storage systems for homes and businesses that can help reduce electricity bills by 75% and dramatically reduce reliance on the electricity grid. The company founders started experimenting with intelligent lithium technology in 2008 and set up Sonnenbatterie in 2010.
Venture capital firm eCapital invested in 2013 to support the rapid expansion of the firm. Its investment helped fund the company’s international expansion, as well as extensive R&D to enable Sonnenbatterie to maintain its technological lead in the market. Thanks to eCapital’s involvement, Sonnenbatterie is on track to reach more home owners with its technology, and to take a leading position in the supply of electricity storage systems to businesses globally.
eCapital enriches our company through proactive provision of valuable contacts, relevant competence and profound entrepreneurial experience. Due to these benefits eCapital is not just an investor but a much treasured partner to us.
Christoph Ostermann Founder & CEO, Sonnenbatterie
What did the business need?
- Capital for research and development
- Extension of management team
- Support to expand into international markets
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Provided finance to create new products and intellectual property
- Helped the company to maintain its technological edge of up to three years over rivals
- Financed international expansion and organisational growth
- Provided access to sales contacts for overseas expansion
- Extended business offering into services (such as demand and response services)
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Sold over 2,500 systems since market introduction in 2011
- Established market leader in German-speaking countries with market share of over 50%
- Developed economically viable storage system that enables the further expansion of renewable solar electricity generation
- Created technological leader that offers best value for money
- Secured high customer satisfaction and brand recognition in Germany
- Created 53 jobs, taking total staff number to 73