Invest Europe Training
Integrating Responsible Investment Master Class
London, United Kingdom
13 - 14 October 2016
What is it?
Having a functional ESG policy is no longer something extra that a fund manager offers to his LPs but rather a requirement for any GP who wants to retain credibility and meet his investors’ expectations. This master class provides a discussion platform for LPs and GPs on understanding and integrating responsible investment in the daily operations of a fund. The course leaders, who are actively involved in Invest Europe’s Responsible Investment Roundtable, tailor the content of the course on a yearly basis, giving emphasis on practical examples, discussion of case studies and day-to-day challenges, with attention to the specificities of both venture capital and buyout.
The following aspects will be covered:
- Responsible Investment and conduct of business, including GP-level ESG integration, what constitutes a good ESG policy, putting a framework in place to translate principles into practice.
- Integrating ESG factors in investment due diligence, including environmental, health & safety, social, governance, and litigation risk aspects.
- Integrating Responsible Investment into fundraising including: what questions LPs ask, what requirements LPs may have, how can a GP prove and explain its RI strategy, what to put into marketing documentation and legal agreements, data room, website.
- Integrating Responsible Investment into monitoring and reporting – What to expect from and how to effectively monitor portfolio companies on ESG? How to effectively disclose ESG information to your LPs? How do LPs monitor GPs?
This master class starts with a late morning session followed by lunch and lasts until the following mid-day.
Only a limited number of participants will be accepted in order to encourage interaction.
Why should you attend?
This master class is not designed to give delegates a-one-size-fits-all strategy for your operations, but through examples and cases, you will acquire a thorough grounding on integrating responsible investment into your daily investment operations. Furthermore, you will have the possibility to get directly in touch with some of the most knowledgeable industry representatives on the subject and will receive their view on your questions. The breaks, lunch and the networking dinner will provide you with an additional opportunity to exchange views and best practices with your peers.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for Investment Professionals, COOs, CFOs, GCs, IR professionals, fundraising team and ESG officers. It is relevant for GPs as well as LPs seeking to understand the GP investment processes from the ESG perspective.
To be confirmed shortly.
THURSDAY 13 OCTOBER 2016
10.30 – 11.00 Registrations and welcome coffee
11.00 – 11.30 Introduction
11.30 – 12.30 Conduct of business and integrating ESG considerations
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch
13.30 – 15.00 Integrating Responsible Investment in investment decisions
Part 1 – Environmental/Health & Safety:
- Defining ESG/RI/Sustainability
- Is it material?
- Role of ESG
- Common types of observations
Part 2 – Social, governance & litigation risk aspects:
- Labour standards / bribery and corruption
- Portfolio company boards - governance / diversity issues
- Identifying and managing red flags
15.00 – 15.30 Coffee break
15.30-18.00 Integrating RI in investment evaluation & monitoring of ESG performance
- Embedding E&S in investment processes
- Impact on transactions and decision making - case studies
- Evaluation of ESG issues and presentation to Investment Committee (working session - breakout)
- Post-transaction planning
- The 100 day plan and beyond
- Change management and responsible investment
- Corporate finance events
- Investment monitoring - ESG KPIs
- Portfolio company ESG reporting - what, to whom, how and when
19.15-22.00 Dinner at the city centre
FRIDAY 14 OCTOBER 2016
9.00 – 10.30 Responsible Investment & LP Requirements - From Fundraising to Reporting - Integrating responsible investment into fundraising, including:
- What to disclose in marketing materials
- What questions LPs ask
- What policies LPs may have
- How to prove and differentate your IR strategy
- LPA / Side letter requirements
- ESG disclosures to LPs during the life of the fund
10.30 – 11.00 Coffee break
11.00 – 11.45 Dealing with ESG incidents - an LP perspective
- Tailoring a notification regime
- Own monitoring/screening
- Engagement: Can behaviour be changed?
- Opting out
- Partial/full exit
11.45-12.15 Closing session
12.15 – 13.00 Lunch
Accommodation has been secured at the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel. The deadline for reservation is 13/09/2016. After this date, accommodation will be subject to availability. To book a room, fill in the following form and send it directly to the hotel.
Every reservation should be guaranteed by a credit card. It is emphasized that reservations without a credit card cannot be guaranteed and may be cancelled by the hotel.
Room Rates (Single): 12 October - 14 October: £240. This rate includes breakfast and VAT.
Method of payment and cancellation
Course Fee (excluding accommodation):
Invest Europe Members: €1,450
*20% VAT will be added.
The above prices also include all material relating to the master class as well as coffee breaks, lunches and dinners for the duration of the course. Hotel accommodation is not included in the master class fee.
Participants are requested to pay by cheque, banker's draft, bank transfer or credit card in EURO as shown on the Application Form. Applications sent after 13/09/2016 should be paid by credit card.
Bank transfers: should be made net of bank charges and commission to the following bank: ING Rue du Trône 14-16 B-1000 Brussels
International bank transfer account number: IBAN BE33 3300 5785 0046 SWIFT/BIC: BBRUBE BB
Domestic bank transfer account number: 330-0578500-46
A copy of the bank transfer should be sent together with the application form. To avoid any confusion, participants are requested to indicate clearly their names and addresses on transfer orders and cheques. Confirmation of registration for fees and practical information will be sent after receipt of the application form and payment. For late registrations (see above), we require payment via a credit card.
Cancellations can only be accepted if received (in writing) by 13/09/2016. Fees (less 20% administrative charges) will then be refunded. After this date, delegates will be liable for the full fee.
In case of cancellation, a substitution between members of the same company is still possible at any time.
The working language of the course will be English.
To register for the Integrating Responsible Investment Master Class the candidate should submit the registration form and proof of payment. Invest Europe maintains the right to refuse the registration if it is not accompanied by all the supporting documents.
Due to the high demand for Invest Europe Training courses and master classes, priority is given to Invest Europe members. Registrations will be handled on a first-come first-served basis.
Any registration received after 13/09/2016 should mention a credit card number for the payment of course fees.