Private equity helped build Avincis into a world leader in less than a decade. When Investindustrial invested in 2005, Avincis had 750 employees and provided helicopter services for medical emergencies, search and rescue, surveillance and oil & gas rig crew change-over in three countries.
With Investindustrial’s support, the business grew sales and earnings almost six-fold. Investindustrial strengthened the management team and helped devise an international expansion plan allowing Avincis to become a global industry leader. During the investment period Avincis increased employees to 2,850, and expanded into ten new markets. A partnership with KKR in May 2010 brought together two long term investors with complimentary expertise to support Avincis’ global acquisition strategy.
The partnership with Investindustrial and KKR allowed Avincis to execute a successful long-term value creation strategy.
James Drummond CEO, Avincis Group
What did the business need?
- International expansion and critical mass
- Stronger management team
- Flexible financial structure to allow for accelerated growth
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Expanded into ten new markets including Australia, Chile, Denmark, France, Finland, Italy, Norway and Peru
- Completed nine add-on acquisitions to give the company global reach into these markets
- Built a world-class management team with over 20 new senior management hires
- Completed four refinancings to fund growth
- Helped Avincis gain new long-term public contracts giving strong visibility of earnings
- Ensured the continuation of the highest standards in training, maintenance and safety practices
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Grew sales by nearly 6x to €566 million from 2005-2014
- Created significant competitive advantage and resilience by building critical mass
- Built Avincis into the clear international leader
- Sold the company as a strategic asset in 2014 to UK engineering services leader Babcock International