TMT specialist GMT Communications Partners invested in Bigpoint in 2008, providing the German online games company, which had strong credentials and a bright future, with the financial support it required to achieve its potential.
Fast forward to today and the company has gone global, adding offices in San Francisco and Sao Paolo, and has increased its number of registered users to more than 200 million – nearly a tenfold rise in just three years. In addition, the company now employs 800 people – up from 150 at the time of GMT’s investment. Private equity backing also helped Bigpoint to hire a top-class management team to support the company’s founder, and to invest in its development pipeline of online games.
Our thanks go to GMT Communications Partners for three very exciting years. Their support has seen the company rapidly grow during this period.
Heiko Hubertz CEO, Bigpoint
What did the business need?
- Investment to take advantage of unique growth market opportunity
- Great business, but in need of greater traction outside core German market
- Management structure to support rapid increase in scale
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- GMT introduced US investors (Comcast / NBC), providing crucial channels into lucrative US market
- Supported investment in extension of games portfolio
- Opened new offices in San Francisco and Sao Paolo
- Invested in new development teams and studios
- Hiring of additional senior executives
- Continued support and expertise provided through GMT Industry Council
- GMT retained a small stake in the business and will continue to support its growth going forward
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Registered users rose to more than 200 million, across 30 countries
- Employee numbers rose more than five-fold
- Return of more than 4x delivered to investors including pension funds