Cognitive Security is a high-tech internet security software maker that uses artificial intelligence techniques to detect advanced threats of cyber attack. Stemming from an idea developed at the respected Czech Technical University, Cognitive Security needed venture capital funding, experienced partners and access to international networks to grow.
Credo Ventures, Evolution Equity and RSJ Private Equity invested in the company in April 2011 and helped transform the start-up by bolstering Cognitive Security’s sales team, helping to unlock US, UK, IR, ES, DE, FR, BE, and CZ markets and increase revenues 50 times. The investors sold the company to US computing and technology giant to CISCO Systems after 20 months in Feb 2013.
Thanks to our investors, we have been able to proceed quickly to the global market and make our vision a reality.
Martin Rehak CEO & Co-Founder, Cognitive Security
What did the business need?
- Improved sales, marketing and corporate governance
- Research and development funding
- Access to international sales networks
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Bought out minority investor
- Strengthened sales team
- Expanded into other European and international markets
- Invested €600,000 in R&D
- Won new clients
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Turned Cognitive Security into global player in cyber threat detection and prevention
- Achieved global coverage in the space of Intrusion Detection/Prevention in less than two years
- Increased sales by 50x
- Increased employee numbers by 50% to 28
- Cognitive Security staff took senior roles at CISCO systems