Dino is a leading supermarkets group in Western Poland, which expanded rapidly, thanks to Enterprise Investors’ backing, from 97 stores in 2010 to a chain of over 510 in 2015. In addition to increasing the network of stores, the investment enabled founder Tomasz Biernacki, who set up Dino in 2000, to expand the group’s meat processing business, Agro Rydzyna, and build new warehouses in Krotoszyn and Piotrków Trybunalski. With the growth came new jobs, with employment at Dino increasing nearly sixfold since 2010 to almost 9,000 in 2015. Furthermore, Dino’s increased size has benefited local food producers and its suppliers by allowing them to expand and hire new workers.
EI is a great partner. It has provided us with capital for rapid growth and given us credibility with lenders. EI has been deeply involved in setting up our financial reporting and management controlling systems as well as offering support in strategic decisions.
Szymon Piduch CEO , Dino Polska
What did the business need?
- Capital for store expansion programme
- New systems and logistics infrastructure to support expansion
- Support to transform a private company into a modern, streamlined business
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Financed the rapid rollout of Dino supermarkets
- Reorganised and improved stores to meet customers’ growing expectations
- Improved sourcing and invested to modernise supply chain
- Expanded logistics and meat packaging operations, including building two new warehouses
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Rapid increase in store numbers from 97 to nearly 9,000 in less than five years
- Increased almost sixfold employee numbers to nearly 9,000 over four years
- Established world-class logistic bases and supply chain
- Increased revenues form PLN 529 million in 2010 to PLN 2,586 million in 2015