Dino is a leading supermarkets group in Western Poland, which expanded rapidly, thanks to Enterprise Investors’ backing, from 97 stores in 2010 to a chain of 628 stores at the end of 2016, launching nearly 120 new stores in 2016 alone. In addition to increasing the network of stores, the investment enabled founder Tomasz Biernacki, who set up Dino in 2000, to expand the group’s meat processing business, Agro Rydzyna, and build new warehouses in Krotoszyn and Piotrków Trybunalski. With the growth came new jobs; employment at Dino increased nearly eightfold since 2010 to 11,600 in April 2017. Furthermore, Dino’s increased size has benefited local food producers and its suppliers by allowing them to expand and hire new workers.
EI is a great partner. It has provided us with capital for rapid growth and given us credibility with lenders. EI has been deeply involved in setting up our financial reporting and management controlling systems as well as offering support in strategic decisions.
Szymon Piduch CEO , Dino Polska
What did the business need?
- Capital for store expansion programme
- New systems and logistics infrastructure to support expansion
- Support to transform a private company into a modern, streamlined business
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Financed the rapid rollout of Dino supermarkets
- Reorganised and improved stores to meet customers’ growing expectations
- Improved sourcing and invested to modernise supply chain
- Expanded logistics and meat packaging operations, including building two new warehouses
- Lead the IPO process, which enabled raising new financing in the future
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Rapid increase in store numbers from 97 to 628 in less than six years
- Increased almost eightfold employee numbers to 11,600 in April 2017
- Established world-class logistic bases and supply chain
- Increased revenues from PLN 529 million in 2010 to PLN 3,370 million in 2016