Exco InTouch provides digital patient engagement and data capture solutions for clinical research and healthcare providers. Scottish Equity Partners (SEP) first invested in Exco in 2011 and has worked closely with management, supporting the company to create industry-leading products for clients and partners including Microsoft, Parexel, PRA, Oracle and Vodafone. From its Nottingham base, Exco has expanded into the US market, establishing strong partnerships with pharmaceutical companies both in the US and throughout Europe and is experiencing exponential growth.
Exco InTouch was acquired by by ERT, a leading provider of high-quality patient data collection solutions for use in clinical drug development, in December 2016, representing one of the most successful exits for a UK venture capital-backed business in the emerging digital health market.
Exco has tripled its turnover over the last 3 years and SEP has played a vital part in our growth and strategic development, enabling us to modernise patient engagement and data capture solutions for clinical trials and digital health programs globally.
Tim Davis Founder and CEO, Exco InTouch
What did the business need?
- Investment in sales and marketing to scale revenues
- Development of software as a service technology pharma and contract research sectors
- Working capital and investment in operations
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Developed innovations in patient engagement and data capture for clinical trials and digital health
- Helped build the board with key executive and non-executive director appointments
- Enabled the launch of Gather™ product to manage stakeholder engagement in clinical trials
- Secured US Patent for its mDNA® technology
- Actively participated on the company’s board and contributed to strategic development
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Supported over 1 million patients globally through its industry-leading software platform
- Secured partnerships with over 26,000 hospitals and clinics
- Exco InTouch’s technology is now deployed in 97 countries and in over 70 different languages
- Tripled revenues in the 3 years to 2016
- Won industry accreditations and awards, including listing in the Global Digital Health 100 for 2015
- Secured key strategic partnerships with Oracle, Microsoft and AstraZeneca