Gollmann Kommissioniersysteme makes automated, space-efficient storage for pharmacies and industrial users looking for a way to handle and monitor small items. The company was created in 2006, when Daniel Gollmann was asked by a pharmacist friend to help select a system. Gollmann saw the opportunity to do something better and within a few months developed, tested and sold his first shelving systems.
Over the next three years the start-up grew into a medium-sized company. But then the financial crisis struck and resulted in the unexpected cancellation of a bank loan in 2009. eCapital stepped up with the funding to expand the sales network, plus the expertise to take Gollmann into seven European countries, Australia and New Zealand.
eCAPITAL was quick to assess our potential and through its funding made us less dependent on bank financing. This partnership is one of our best decisions.
Daniel Gollmann Founder & CEO, Gollmann Kommissioniersysteme
What did the business need?
- Funding to replace cancelled bank loan and to continue its long-term expansion plan
- Entrepreneurial guidance to professionalise business and improve processes
- Access to international markets
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Provided funding to secure company development
- Guided expansion into international markets
- Revised sales and pricing strategy
- Improved cash efficiency of business model (reduced cash-to-cash cycle)
- Achieved substantial increase of gross margin by reducing materials costs
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Created the second-largest maker of pharmacy shelving systems in Germany
- Established sales and service networks in Austria, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Switzerland and UK, as well as Australia and New Zealand
- Positioned Gollmann as a high-quality brand and leader in innovation
- Achieved an 250% increase in revenues to > €10m
- Created 20 new jobs, increasing employment to total of 80