NORMA Group is a global market and technology leader in engineered joining technology offering about 35,000 high quality products and solutions to approximately 10,000 customers around the world.
The company manufactures and sells a wide range of innovative engineered joining technology solutions in three product categories (clamp, connect and fluid) to a diverse customer base in more than 90 countries.
Headquartered in Maintal, Germany, NORMA Group operates a global network of 18 manufacturing facilities as well as numerous sales and distribution sites across Europe, the Americas and Asia Pacific.
3i is very proud to have contributed to the success of NORMA which has grown from a regional player in Germany to an undisputed international leader in its market.
Ulf von Haacke Partner and Managing Director, 3i Germany
What did the business need?
- Professionalise the business with a mindset for continuous improvements
- Achieve growth through acquisitions of complementary businesses
- Achieve growth through international expansion
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Merger with Swedish ABA Group
- Subsequent acquisitions of Breeze, R.G. Ray and Craig Assembly
- Strengthening of the management team with the appointments of a CEO, CFO and COO
- Expansion of product range (focus on innovation and patented productions)
- Increased product development capabilities
- Strengthening of international presence, e.g. in developing markets with new plants in India, China, Thailand, Mexico, Russia and Serbia
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- During 3i’s investment, NORMA grew from a formerly family-owned business into a market leader in engineered joining technology
- Successful IPO on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange in April 2011