Octo Telematics provides usage-based services, stolen vehicle recovery and crash management diagnostics to car insurance companies. It also offers road charging services and real-time traffic monitoring for fleet management and car rental companies as well as public bodies.
The support of Montezemolo & Partners, Keensight Capital and Amadeus Capital allowed Octo to become independent following its spin-off from the Italian Meta System Group. The investors helped with strategic hires necessary for Octo's development and to optimise its supply-chain: for example, the company diversified its supply sources for the manufacture of on-board box units. With a European market share of over 80% and an expanded service range, Octo was sold to Renova in April 2014.
The private equity support we received has been extremely useful: the extensive network and operational expertise of our investors have helped us create efficiencies. Working together on crucial strategic ideas has helped us pursue our international expansion.
Luigi Sala Board Chairman, Octo Telematics
What did the business need?
- Diversification of clients, geographies and suppliers
- Supply-chain optimisation
- Improved sales and marketing
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Reorganised back office functions and IT systems to help Octo become an independent entity
- Accelerated international expansion across Italy, UK, Spain and the US
- Helped with enlarging product range through acquisition targets (one deal closed)
- Developed offering in fleet management services
- Made strategic recruitments (e.g. new sales director)
- Improved supply-chain – through the diversification of supply sources for on-board box unit
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Expanded telematics fleet rapidly, with devices now installed in over 2.2 million vehicles worldwide
- Built best-in-class database in the global in-car telematics and infomobility markets
- Built a market leader in over 20 countries, with more than 80% market share in Europe alone
- Grew sales annually by 27% over four years to €125m in 2013
- Increased EBITDA by 235% over four years