When 3i invested in Trescal in 2010, it saw a growing market for calibration and maintenance services in industries using complex machinery, and also spotted the company’s capacity to lead consolidation in the sector. 3i supported the acquisitions of businesses in Austria, the Netherlands, UK and US, and established in a new lab in Singapore. It also increased sales and profit margins through productivity improvements and better management of the company’s sales force and key global clients. As a result, Trescal grew twice as fast as its market, increasing sales by over 40% and more than doubling profits in the space of three years. 3i sold Trescal in 2013, at which point staff numbers had risen by 300 to over 1,500.
We made acquisitions we could never have achieved if we’d had any other shareholder than 3i
Olivier Delrieu CEO, Trescal
What did the business need?
- Capital to grow
- Strategic guidance to become a leader in the calibration field
- Strengthened sales processes and improved management of key customers
- More efficient and tighter financial management
- Global reach and experience
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Supported acquisition of businesses in the US and Europe
- Established Trescal in Asia through new office opening
- Drove consolidation in key Benelux markets
- Improved sales and account management to boost sales
- Improved cost efficiency through scale and greater automation
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Increased sales by over 40% to €157m
- Transformed Trescal into a global company with operations in Asia, Europe and North America
- Grew non-EU sales from 0% to approx. 15% during the investment
- Increased job numbers by 300 (to over 1,500 staff
- Grew from 50 to 60 laboratories across 16 countries