Founded in 2009 in Finland, Visedo develops and manufactures electric drivetrain components and an energy management software platform for marine, mobile and heavy-duty applications. Visedo’s components are designed to improve productivity and reduce pollution.
Emerald Technology Ventures led and syndicated Visedo’s last round of finance, together with various Finnish funds, including early investors VNT Management and Tesi, to fund the expansion of the management team and salesforce to growth the business in Europe and in Asia. In 2017, the company was acquired by Danfoss, a large European competitor that has the distribution channels to accelerate product sales and propel the transformation to electric mobility.
Emerald is a unique VC with its wide network of corporate limited partners and co investors from Europe, Asia and North America. They were constantly pushing valuable contacts and connections our way.
Kimmo Rauma Co-founder and CEO, Visedo
What did the business need?
- Additional management and sales talent
- Expansion finance for working capital
- An Asia strategy
How did private equity backing create lasting value?
- Led a major round of finance, bringingin large local institutional investor Ilmarinen and LähiTapiola
- Provided a wide range of industrial connections, including Emerald’s corporate investors
- Participated in the strategic analysis and choice of the Asia market approach
- Helped find and hire top management team
- Supported the exit strategy and eventually the sale process
What outcomes did private equity investment achieve?
- Doubled employee numbers in 2016 to to 100 Increased sales by more than 50% annually over the last 4 years
- Agreed an outsourced manufacturing and supply arrangement with a large Asian supplier
- Attracted an acquisition by Danfoss
- Achieved strong returns for Emerald investors