Invest Europe Training
Regulatory & Legal Course for Private Equity Fund Managers
15 - 17 March 2017
What is it?
This certificated, three-day training focuses on regulation affecting private equity including the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and standards in areas such as fundraising, fund marketing, governance and financial crime.
Grounded in Invest Europe Handbook of Professional Standards and designed by Invest Europe Professional Standards and Tax, Legal & Regulatory Committees, the course is led by industry experts. The course will help both European and non-European fund managers gain a clear understanding of the EU and international regulatory frameworks in which they operate.
To view an outline of the course content, please click here
Why should you attend?
After the 2008 financial crisis, European policymakers committed to ensuring that no sector or product was out of the scope of financial market regulation. The whole private equity industry - GPs and funds, LPs and investments, was and continues to be affected by the resulting legislation. It is crucial that fund managers are well-informed about what this means for them, their firms and their investors.
As the industry's representative in Brussels, Invest Europe is at the forefront of the debate over new and existing EU regulation and is ideally placed to provide this indispensable training.
The course covers:
- Legal concerns surrounding the fundraising process, such as those linked to passporting or creating a track record. A speaker that has recently experienced a final fund close, will describe the legal issues faced by managers and advisors when raising capital.
- Regulatory and legal hurdles that a fund manager and advisor will tackle on a daily basis. Starting with a review of EU regulation, including AIFMD, EuVECA, CRD, ISD, MiFID, a guest speaker will share his experiences of investing, notification and disclosures, divesting, valuation, transparency and disclosure.
- Day-to-day corporate issues including capital requirements, allocation of responsibility, remuneration, diversity, AIFM internal organisation, delegation, distributions, investor relations, performance measurement, fund winding up, management of multiple funds and US regulation such as FATCA and Dodd-Frank.
- Attendees will also gain practical guidance on responsibilities regarding financial crimes including tax evasion, antitrust, bribery and corruption, money laundering, breaching embargoes and sanctions, fraud and whistle blowing, insider dealing and market abuse. The course ends with an exam and, for successful students, an Invest Europe certificate.
Who should attend?
Private equity practitioners with both operational knowledge and an understanding of the investment process, who want to expand their knowledge of changing European laws and regulations. Non-EU managers seeking to market into Europe will benefit from the regulatory training, especially looking into passporting.
The course will attract a diverse group of participants including Partners, CFOs, COOs, Compliance Officers, Investor Relations/Fundraising teams, Risk Managers, Portfolio Managers, and General Counsel.
Sofitel Brussels Le Louise
Avenue de la Toison d'Or 40
Phone 02 514 22 00
WEDNESDAY 15 MARCH
8.30 – 9.00 Registrations & welcome coffee
9.00 - 10.00 Introduction
10.00 – 11.00 Fundraising: Regulatory Environment
- Background to the EU Regulatory System
- The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA)
- Invest Europe Governing Principles for Fundraising Activity
- EU Fund Manager
- Non EU Fund Manager
- Common features of national implementing systems
- Private Placement Regimes
11.00 - 11.30 Break
11:30 - 13:00 Fundraising: Marketing a Fund
- The fundraising process
- Creating an IM
- Investor Meetings
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch
14.00 – 16.00 Operating a Fund: Important Directives
- VC Regulation
16.00-16.30 Coffee break
16.30-18:00 Operating a Fund: Portfolio Companies 1
- Notification and Disclosures
- Managing an Investment
- Asset Stripping
18.30 - 19.00 Welcome Reception at Invest Europe Offices (Bastion Tower, Place du Champ de Mars 5, 1050, Brussels)
19.00 - 22.00 Dinner
THURSDAY 16 MARCH
09.00 – 11.00 Operating a fund: Portfolio Companies 2
- Transparency and Disclosure
11.00 – 11.30 Coffee break
11.30 – 13.00 Corporate / Organisational Issues 1
- Capital Requirements
- Allocation of Responsibility
13.00 – 13.50 Lunch
13.50 – 15.30 Corporate / Organisational Issues 2
- AIFM Internal organisation
- Investor Relations
15.30 – 15.50 Coffee break
15.50 – 18.00 Corporate / Organisational Issues 3
- Performance Measurement
- Winding up of a Fund
- Management of Multiple Funds
- Dodd Frank
FRIDAY 17 MARCH
9.00 – 11.00 Responsible Investing 1
- Tax evasion
- Bribery and corruption
- Money Laundering
- Embargoes and sanctions
11.00 – 11.30 Coffee break
11.30 – 13.00 Responsible Investing 2
- Fraud and whistle-blowing
- Insider Dealing
- Market Abuse
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch
Accommodation has been secured at the Sofitel Brussels Le Louise. The deadline for reservation is 15/02/2017. After this date, accommodation will be subject to availability.
To book a room, fill in the following form and send it directly to the hotel.
Every reservation should be guaranteed by a credit card. It is emphasized that reservations without a credit card cannot be guaranteed and may be cancelled by the hotel.
Room Rates (Single): 14 March - 17 March: €185 This rate includes breakfast and VAT and excludes the city tax.
Fees, method of payment and cancellation
Course Fee (excluding accommodation):
Invest Europe Members: €2,210
21% VAT will be added
The above prices also include all material relating to the training as well as coffee breaks, lunches and dinners for the duration of the course. Hotel accommodation is not included in the course fee.
Participants are requested to pay by cheque, banker´s draft, bank transfer or credit card in EURO as shown on the Application Form. Applications sent after 15 February 2017 should be paid by credit card.
Bank transfers: should be made net of bank charges and commission to the following bank: ING Avenue Marnix 24 B-1000 Brussels
International bank transfer account number: IBAN BE33 3300 5785 0046 SWIFT/BIC: BBRUBE BB
Domestic bank transfer account number: 330-0578500-46
A copy of the bank transfer should be sent together with the application form. To avoid any confusion, participants are requested to indicate clearly their names and addresses on transfer orders and cheques. Confirmation of registration for fees and practical information will be sent after receipt of the application form and payment. For late registrations (see above), we require payment via a credit card.
Cancellations can only be accepted if received (in writing) by 15 February 2017. Fees (less 20% administrative charges) will then be refunded. After this date, delegates will be liable for the full fee.
In case of cancellation, a substitution between members of the same company is still possible at any time.
The working language of the course will be English.
To register for the training, the candidate should submit the registration form and proof of payment. Invest Europe maintains the right to refuse the registration if it is not accompanied by all the supporting documents.
Due to the high demand for Invest Europe Training courses, priority is given to Invest Europe members. Registrations will be handled on a first-come first-served basis.
Any registration received after 15 February 2017 should mention a credit card number for the payment of course fees.